Find help, ask questions on our Facebook group, Contact Me
Help / Knowledge Bade
Instrument Panel Designer
Once you’re logged in, click on the Panel Designer drop-down link from the menu icon on the top left of the page and select My designs, or from the menu item at the bottom of any page. This will open your Panel Designs Management Page where you can Create a New Design, Open, Compare, Rename, Copy, or Delete your saved designs.
Create a New Design
After clicking on the Create New Panel Design button, simply give your design a name, add additional space to the top and/or bottom of your panel template (note…this will take up space in your design window so use this feature sparingly), and select a panel template using the search function on the right. Select the panel and click on the Create button on the left.
You will then be taken to the Panel Designer and your panel template will load in the main window.
To view instrument details, or add them to your design, use the search box at the bottom of the main window to display any instrument in our library. From the search results you may:
- Single mouse click – Display the details of the instrument to the right of your panel template (when you click on your panel template, the aircraft manufacturer will be displayed)
- Left and hold – Drag and drop the instrument on your panel template
- Double mouse click – Open the Add Multiple Instruments tool. This tool is very useful for adding multiple switches or circuit breakers to your panel
Using the Add Multiple Instruments tool
Double left mouse click on an instrument in the search results. A popup dialog will appear allowing you to specify the number of rows, instruments per row, vertical spacing, and horizontal spacing (in inches) of the selected instrument. For example; if you wish to add 3 rows of 5 circuit breakers:
- Search for circuit breaker
- Double click on the circuit breaker in the search results
- Number of Rows = 3
- Instruments per Row = 5
- Vertical Spacing = .25
- Horizontal Spacing = .25
- Click the Add button
15 circuit breakers will be added to the designer window, grouped together by default, which you can now drag and drop on your panel.
Selecting, Grouping, and Ungrouping Instruments
- Selecting an instrument – Single mouse click on the instrument (a thin red box will appear around the instrument)
- Deselecting an instrument – Click anywhere on the panel template (not on another instrument)/li>
- Grouping Multiple Instruments – Single mouse click on the instruments you wish to group and then click on the Group Icon from the top tools menu
- Ungrouping Instruments – Click on the group of instruments and then click on the Ungroup icon from the top tools menu
Additional Tools - Top of Designer
Save Menu Item
When you are finished with your Panel Design for the time being simply hit the Save menu item to save it. *As a safety feature, the designer will auto-save your design every 15 minutes.
Equip List Menu Item
This feature is still in work. For now, clicking on this link displays your Equipment List on the screen, however I do not have a solution for downloading.
Design Image Menu Item
This feature is also still in work. For now, clicking on the Save Design Image link will open a a window with instructions on how to take a screenshot of your Panel Design.
Upload your own, or missing, Panel Templates or Instruments
If you’re unable to find the Panel Template or Instrument you need for your project, we allow you to upload your own. Once uploaded, the Panel Template or Instrument will only be available to you until we can evaluate the item and image quality. Once we have verified the data and resampled the imagery (if required) we will add the item to the public database for other users to enjoy.
Although the dimensional size of the images you upload is not critical, as the Panel Designer automatically dimensionalizes images on the fly, the quality of the image is important. Use the following guidelines for formatting images. For the the best results, we recommend you use a quality image editor as it will net the best result when resampling images.
- Image type: .PNG
- Image Resolution: At least 72 pixels/inch
- Image size: If you start with an image that is dimensionally correct; 72 pixels/inch and at least as large as the actual item, your image should be very good – For example, a 3 1/4″ instrument at 72 pixel/inch should be at least 225 pixels wide
- Remove all white space from image: Crop or trim the image to remove any extra space around the Panel Template or Instrument
- Use transparent background: Delete all whitespace, or other color that may be behind or adjacent to the image
When will the new Aviation Marketplace launch!